Halloween 2013 Part 2: The Reveal of Lily’s 18th Century Robe a la Francaise Princess Dress!

November 2, 2013 in Rococo Love, Sewing, Vintage Fashion

Please meet Princess Lily!

My final verdict?  I am honestly surprised I managed to pull this off.  And while I knew Lily would look good in the outfit, I didn’t expect it to be so darn adorable!  Oh, I must also state for the record, I’m amazed she let me do her hair, which managed to stay up after a marathon jumping castle session.  All in all, this was a really fantastic learning experience and I may have been bitten by the historical costuming bug….

If you would like to see a few candid photos of Lily from Halloween, please visit my Facebook page:

If you are interested in the construction progress – please visit the other posts:
Part 1: Construction of Lily’s 18th Century Robe a la Francaise Princess Dress
Part 2: The Reveal of Lily’s 18th Century Robe a la Francaise Princess Dress!
Part 3: Questions & Answers
Part 4: Question & Answers Part 2

24 Comments

1. Absolutely gorgeous! You did a wonderful job and your daughter is so precious!

2. Laura says:

Hi, I’ve never read your blog before but the Dreamstress linked this post on facebook. WOW. That is an amazing costume. Your daughter looks darling in it. I’m just so impressed. I rarely comment on blogs but I had to say something.

• Naomi says:

Hi Laura! Thank you for visiting and for your lovely comment! I am quite honoured that the Dreamstress linked me on FB – her blog was of immense help to me in managing to make this costume :)

3. Erin says:

It is such a cute dress and you should really be proud of yourself for all your hard work. :)

Lily is an adorable little girl. :)

4. MaryHS says:

Fantastic! BTW search facebook for teacup dinosaur now and you’ll find your link being shared and admired. I went looking for your pics of Halloween and spotted you on “Vogue Fabrics” page and ” Costume-Con 32″. Kudos!
      (If you decide to go medieval/renaissance, drop me a line…there are reenactors in the Aus/NZ area.)

• Naomi says:

Mary – Thank you so much for your comments! I’m on the “Vogue Fabrics” page? Gosh! I’ll have to go and check it out!

If we move back to Australia, I’ll definitely drop you a line! Haven’t found Gaskell’s yet – but I’m gonna go and look it up right now!

5. MaryHS says:

Whoops I mis-read an earlier comment. SF is a hotbed. Have you found Gaskell’s yet? Love love love and miss it.

6. I am almost speechless. Just fantastic. Splendid work and very inspirational! What ever in the world will you do next year?

• Naomi says:

Hi Jeannie – thank you for visiting my blog and your lovely comments! I have NO idea what we’ll do next year. It’s completely in the hands of Lily and what she choose to be. If her imagination is anything to go by though – It’s should hopefully be fantastical AND a challenge for me :)

7. Casie says:

Hi! Love your blog! This dress is so so cute! She looks like she is having so much fun in it :) Have you heard of the children’s book called “Tea Rex”? It reminds me of your blog…I’m sure you and your kids would love it!

• Naomi says:

Hi Casie! Thank you so much for your lovely comments! Lily DID have a lot of fun in it….doing all her usual tomboyish things like running, jumping, throwing herself on the ground to roll, climb the cat tree….oh, and jumping castles. She got to do that with the dress as well!

That book sounds adorable AND perfect for Lily and me! Lily plays with her dinosaurs along side her dolls and sets up tea parties for them. I occasionally pilfer dinosaurs from her stash for art and jewelry projects. I ended up ordering the book for her :)

8. Matilda says:

The dress is so lovely!!! Thank you for also posting the progress of making it, it’s very interesting :) I’m happy that I found your blog!

9. Lindsay says:

The costume is incredible! When I was in graduate school we did a few plays set in the 1700′s. We made Watteau back dresses and I think we referenced that same historic pattern!
      You did a great job!

• Naomi says:

Hi Lindsay! Haha! That’s really neat! I personally found the pattern easy to work from and put together with no instructions. I did reference a few blogs of experience seamstress to make sure my assumptions on construction were correct. I’ll probably use this for when I eventually make one for myself!

10. Susan says:

Absolutely stunning!!! Your daughter is beautiful and the dress is fabulous !!! You and Lily make a very talented pair!! I’m sure you both had a wonderful and enjoyable time.

• Naomi says:

Hi Susan! Thank you for your lovely comment! We sure did have a wonderful time – it was a very jam-packed, busy day and evening for Lily, which ended with her current all time favourite things: Fairy floss (cotton candy) and jumping castles, all while still dressed in this gown!

11. Charlotte says:

I so enjoyed reading about the construction process, and then seeing the finished costume on your beautiful daughter, Lily. You did a fabulous job on all the various parts, and it was fun to read about the little glitches you ran into along the way, and what you did about them.

• Naomi says:

Hi Charlotte! Thank you for your comment <3 It was to be expected I’d come across glitches – even with just sewing a straight up 50′s style full skirt, I still make mistakes from not paying attention — but all those glitches and mistakes were great learning experiences. I definitely know what and what not to do next time!

12. TyI says:

Kudos to you, Super-Mom! I’m pretty sure that when I have a child I’ll be costuming it up just like you. Your efforts are impressive and inspiring. :) I can’t wait to see what you two come up with next year.

13. Patty says:

Adorable!

14. Ellen Clare O'Gallagher says:

Your costume is gorgeous.
      I understand perfectly why you could spend hours and days making costumes. I did the same for my three girls, 40 years ago and for grandchildren too. Of course, in Quebec, where we lived you had to make them big enough to go over a snow suit so the children wouldn’t freeze going out on Halloween.
      Ellen Clare