November 12, 2012 in Sewing
I must apologize for the absence from the blog. I’ve been terribly busy, along with not having time to sew up until very recently. I have a couple of other projects to post, but, because this one is 20% cooler than the others, it comes first!
Lily (and my husband….ok ok, and myself) really enjoy the new My Little Pony cartoons. Not only do I like the animation design, I am surprisingly impressed with the story lines. Do I have a favourite pony? Not yet. Obviously, I side with Rarity because she sews, but I have only just started watching the episodes so I don’t have a clear favourite. Lily, on the other hand, LOVES Rainbow Dash.
To be honest, though, I’m not so sure she likes Rainbow Dash for her personality and character as much as she just loves rainbows right now — but when I told her a week ago I was going to make her a kitty jacket out of leopard print fleece, she said “NO! RAINBOW DASH JACKET!” And remained very adamant about it. At first I said “No way!”…but, remembering the amazing Halloween costumes of Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack from Craftiness is not Optional, I realized it wasn’t an impossible idea and got thinking.
While I adored the jackets made by Jess, I knew that between Lily and the cats, that using yarn for the mane and tail would be a Very.Bad.Idea. So I settled upon the idea of appliquéing the tail and mane. I also decided on more of a dressy Winter jacket that can be worn over the top of sweaters, etc — with the thought it would be easier to incorporate the tail into the skirt part. Lily already had a fleece jacket that she loved wearing – so I based the design from it, making alterations by way of turning it into a double breasted jacket with a detachable hoodie, along with being larger to accommodate growth (I’m pretty certain we’re due for a growth spurt soon!).
I worked on drafting the mane and tail as closely as I could from the Rainbow Dash illustrations. I had to take artistic licence with how the tail flowed along the back, but I tried to keep the division of colour and hair roughly the same.
The cutie marks, were originally meant to be pockets, hence two of them — but by the time I had them sewn, I realized they were too small for pockets, and making them bigger would look unbalanced on the jacket. I particularly love the rainbow buttons, although you may notice blue is missing – that’s because I couldn’t find any blue buttons in the same style!
The hoodie took me a significant amount of time to do in terms of figuring out how to do the mane and then sewing it, along with attaching the ears.
Right about now is where I talk about my love/hate relationship with my sewing machine. I have a Brother SE-400. And while it’s amazing for embroidery type stitches, boy, does it dislike sewing through multiple layers of fabric! It did a gorgeous satin stitch around the colours – but absolutely loathed doing button holes and stitching through areas with more than 2 layers of fabric. It was incredibly frustrating at times, and there are quite a few areas on the jacket where I just had to give up the machine and hand sew. Thankfully, fleece is an extremely forgiving fabric in terms of hiding bad stitches!
It took me over a week to construct – but the end result was worth it! After Lily wore it yesterday, there are a few small things I plan on fixing such as adding a drawstring channel for the hoodie so she can pull it tighter to prevent it from falling off her head and being the perfectionist I am – I think I want to take the wings off and re-adjust their position.
Another great thing to come out of this project aside from the jacket is discovering Lily is becoming more understanding and patient of me sewing. Not only does she brag to people I’m sewing something for her (“Momma sewing RAINBOW DASH!”) she is expressing an interest in the process and wants to help. This means there should be more sewing in the future!
And of course, photos of Rainbow Lily Dash modelling!